Skip to main content

Flowers for a wedding

Almost a year ago, I was busy planning flowers for a very special wedding. My cousin’s daughter, Claire, was getting married and there were to be flowers. Lots of them. I was excited to catch her vision of what she wanted, but also anxious as this was only my second experience of planning and arranging wedding flowers.

I worked closely with one of my cousins who, like me, had handled flowers before as we planned out our strategy, which was thwarted once by the coronavirus-COVID19 restrictions (the wedding date had to be moved from July to September) and was shadowed by an increasing number of cases and the potential of further last-minute changes right up to the last few days before the big day. Thankfully everything worked out the day proceeded as planned and was beautiful – but back to the flowers…

First up there was the floral arch. Providing the backdrop to the ceremony, this was to be colourful and bright and was to use silk flowers as it had to be transported to the venue three days before the wedding day. Using flowers and foliage from Ikea, Dunelm and the Range, we were able to design and construct the arch using a framework expertly prepared by the bride’s father and the bride herself.

And here it is in action:

Photograph by Alba Turnbull (official wedding photographer - @albaturnbull)

A smaller silk arrangement was designed for the welcome sign:

The week before the wedding we developed a schedule for cutting and conditioning flowers and foliage from the beautiful garden at the bride’s family home (we had tested the longevity of the cut stems the previous week to get the timings right). We also set about purchasing fresh blooms from Marks and Spencer, Sainsbury and Tesco, having previously worked out how long it took for tight buds to burst open into bloom.

The day before the wedding, we sequestered ourselves in a large work shed at the family home and set to work on 12 candelabra rings and 12 posies for the tables in the reception area of the venue where the wedding was to be held.


We transported the well-watered arrangements very nervously in two cars on the morning of the wedding, surviving potholes, twisting country lanes and a major traffic diversion due to roadworks. Arriving early, we were able to put everything in place just in time for the ceremony.

Photograph by Alba Turnbull (official wedding photographer - @albaturnbull)

Photograph by Alba Turnbull (official wedding photographer - @albaturnbull)

The bride’s mother had planted many beautiful pots for the end of the rows in the ceremony room, with the floral arch and the table-centres and posies, the wedding manager for the day said in his years at the venue, he hadn’t seen a wedding with so many flowers!

The final task was to prepare and arrange some silk blooms on the wedding cake – one of the arrangements I think worked out really well in it’s simplicity.

I had also been asked to prepare table numbers, the welcome sign and table plan to the bride’s design using white ink on acrylic sheets. This was a first for me and I was glad I had a spare off-cut to practice writing on and removing mistakes from! In the end, I think they turned out OK – everyone was able to take their place at the right tables, so it must have been fine.

What a wonderful time we had, from being involved in the planning and preparation to being privileged to be part of such a special day with wonderful family and friends. Thank you, Claire and Karl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mathilde blouse

For a while now I have been thinking about taking up sewing again. I say again as I loved GCSE Textiles which I chose over Home Economics. I think over the years our home economy has benefited more from what I knew about fabric than what I might have known about food, but that's for another day. I had a fantastic teacher. Mrs Plummer was a designer and an artist and motivated us all to do our best and to develop an understanding and love for fabric, for cutting it up and sewing it all back together. As a result, there were several years when at least one item of clothing I wore every day was handmade. Believe it or not we still exchange Christmas cards and she sends me photos of her latest artwork. I love hearing about what she has been doing - it's 24 years since I was in her class! In the years since, I have sewn less and less clothing and more and more curtains and then, when there are only so many curtains you can hang, my trusty machine was retired for a while. Recentl

Is there such a thing as 'Investment Knitting'?

Following my knitting revival came a succession of plans and lists of items that were to be produced - some sooner than others. One of the first Rowan patterns I completed was 'Lisette' by Kim Hargreaves from Rowan 36. Boy, was I a proud girl when this was finished! It was my first experience of knitting with a Rowan yarn, and nothing has yet shifted 4-ply Soft from the top of my list of the best yarns for drape and finish. It has virtually no 'bloom', washes brilliantly and wears as new. The colour is aptly called 'Beetroot' and is a bit darker than the picture below. The pattern was straightforward to knit, and as a result I think I will forever be partial to a Kim Hargreaves pattern. The edging was knitted separately and sewn on, which was a challenge for me as I am not too confident of my hand sewing skills when it comes to knitted fabric! I have learnt many things since I knitted this a couple of years ago. One of them is never to carry 'live' stitc

Shade Card Ripple - Ta Dah!

  This is the blanket I made - it is based on the ripple pattern made famous by Lucy from Attic 24 . It fits a double bed perfectly. I used a 3.5mm crochet hook and one of each of the colours from Jamieson's double knitting (25g) shade card. I used around 409 ch to start with and around 220 rows. This is the blanket Mum made. She used the second half of each ball once I had completed the rows on my blanket. Again a 3.5mm hook was used, but this time she used a chevron crochet pattern from The Gebtle Art of Knitting by Jane Brocket . She started with 360 ch and the same number of rows. It fits a sofa or a single bed beautifully. What do you think? We loved sharing this project - it gave us a lot of pleasure and many happy hooky hours!   There's about 1200g of leftovers - all wound into magic balls and waiting for the next project...