Skip to main content

A Year of Techniques - March, April and May 2017


For a long time I avoided knit-a-longs, and in particular mystery knit-a-longs. I'm the sort of person who quite likes to know what I am going to get, and although I nearly always admired the end result when I saw pictures of the finished objects, and thought that if I had seen the picture first, I might have joined in. I envied those who could blithely trust the designers to produce a worthy design. So when I heard of A Year of Techniques (AYotT) I wondered who could commit to a year of projects without knowing exactly what they were getting into.

A few weeks passed and gradually I began to realise that this was just what I needed. I signed up in February in the middle of trying to deal with Mum’s confusion and inability to recognise me. I was finding it hard to concentrate on any crafting or knitting, but recognised that I desperately needed the therapy that only yarn and needles can deliver to the confirmed knitter. So, AYoT came along at just the right time - a pattern and yarn ready made - no decisions for me to make, a reasonably sized project that would give me the satisfaction of completing something lovely while encouraging me to develop my skills. It was also a source of great interest for Mum as she has enjoyed seeing the patterns and watching the projects take shape. Trying to continue to work full-time and care full-time, I found that my social interaction with friends and colleagues was curtailed by the caring that I am doing (and that I love to do). Taking part in AYoT encouraged me to get involved in the online forums on Ravelry that I never really understood the point of before. It enabled me to interact with so many knitters and people with common interests and has helped to mitigate that sense of isolation that can so quickly set in in my circumstances.

So what did I learn?



Helical stripes - it was difficult to envisage how this would work until the needles and yarn were in hand - but having completed these hand-warmers, I can see how the technique would transfer beautifully to socks and other small circular projects. I also learned to set in a thumb, something I had never done before.


Intarsia - my nemesis since I completed Debbie Abrahams 'Fish' blanket, I avoided intarsia in any potential project, rejecting it out of hand as not worth the trouble. This project was a challenge, but not because of the intarsia (that was the most enjoyable aspect!). The challenge was in keeping track of the pattern rows. In common with many of the knitters who worked on this project, we devised an array of techniques to help us keep track of the 600+ rows in a way that made sense to each of us. What was particularly interesting was how different knitters find different things challenging. Some sailed though with nary a second glance at the instructions while others of us pored over them trying to extract the details we needed. Please note that this was in no way a reflection on the clarity of the written instructions. It would have been impossible to publish a chart for this pattern, but I managed to get out graph paper and translate the written instruction into visual prompts and thus successfully navigated this technique to produce a beautiful, colourful cloud of a wrap.


Pinhole cast on - this was a delight - my first ever knitted toy. Tiny pieces, knitted in the round with shaping and colour work, when carefully stuffed, came to life in the form of Alex the mouse. He makes me smile every time I catch his cute button eyes. I learned the importance of attention to detail and tension, and how crucial that is in a small project. I also learned how intriguing it is to mould the stuffing to create features and expressions and conjure a personality for a toy that is unique. I just love his chubby wee cheeks. Of course, mastering the pinhole cast on was key - fiddly at first, but I can see how it could be used effectively in casting on for any project knitted from the centre from blanket squares to pi shawls.

One of the special aspects of AYoT was the release of the new pattern and the identification of the technique at the start of each month. While the monthly Ravelry group threads allowed us to share our progress, a good deal of time was spent on speculating and trying to work out what was coming next based on the lists of techniques and designers and the type of yarn in the kits. For me, at that time, the mystery was the most intriguing way to engage my mind and distract me from other pressures and stresses, giving my mind a pleasant alternative place to escape to. How far I had come in three months!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mathilde blouse

For a while now I have been thinking about taking up sewing again. I say again as I loved GCSE Textiles which I chose over Home Economics. I think over the years our home economy has benefited more from what I knew about fabric than what I might have known about food, but that's for another day. I had a fantastic teacher. Mrs Plummer was a designer and an artist and motivated us all to do our best and to develop an understanding and love for fabric, for cutting it up and sewing it all back together. As a result, there were several years when at least one item of clothing I wore every day was handmade. Believe it or not we still exchange Christmas cards and she sends me photos of her latest artwork. I love hearing about what she has been doing - it's 24 years since I was in her class! In the years since, I have sewn less and less clothing and more and more curtains and then, when there are only so many curtains you can hang, my trusty machine was retired for a while. Recentl

Is there such a thing as 'Investment Knitting'?

Following my knitting revival came a succession of plans and lists of items that were to be produced - some sooner than others. One of the first Rowan patterns I completed was 'Lisette' by Kim Hargreaves from Rowan 36. Boy, was I a proud girl when this was finished! It was my first experience of knitting with a Rowan yarn, and nothing has yet shifted 4-ply Soft from the top of my list of the best yarns for drape and finish. It has virtually no 'bloom', washes brilliantly and wears as new. The colour is aptly called 'Beetroot' and is a bit darker than the picture below. The pattern was straightforward to knit, and as a result I think I will forever be partial to a Kim Hargreaves pattern. The edging was knitted separately and sewn on, which was a challenge for me as I am not too confident of my hand sewing skills when it comes to knitted fabric! I have learnt many things since I knitted this a couple of years ago. One of them is never to carry 'live' stitc

Shade Card Ripple - Ta Dah!

  This is the blanket I made - it is based on the ripple pattern made famous by Lucy from Attic 24 . It fits a double bed perfectly. I used a 3.5mm crochet hook and one of each of the colours from Jamieson's double knitting (25g) shade card. I used around 409 ch to start with and around 220 rows. This is the blanket Mum made. She used the second half of each ball once I had completed the rows on my blanket. Again a 3.5mm hook was used, but this time she used a chevron crochet pattern from The Gebtle Art of Knitting by Jane Brocket . She started with 360 ch and the same number of rows. It fits a sofa or a single bed beautifully. What do you think? We loved sharing this project - it gave us a lot of pleasure and many happy hooky hours!   There's about 1200g of leftovers - all wound into magic balls and waiting for the next project...